Thursday, January 28, 2010

Big exams are over

This is our Regents exam week. I had 93% pass the LE exam and 53% had mastery (85 or higher). As I contemplate my AR I am wondering what could have worked to help my oe student pass that didn't. John never gave me any trouble but others had such issues that he was in CR or suspended a few times. He gave up. With 19 other students to get ready for the exam in only half a year I just couldn't dwell on him...he took no steps to come in for help, never attempted homework, never participated in class. That sounds terrible.
How can action research help? is there something I could be doing in class that would have drawn him in? Am I doing something wrong?

As I think about the research and what I want to know my thoughts are ------

Concept maps: I love them, do my students?
I think they provide a visual of what the whole unit is, what do they think?
They are challenging, do students put the effort into to create good ones?
It makes the big picture clear, do students see it more clearly?

Labs: Sometimes they are too easy
They can be boring
Are they the best way to represent a topic?
Do they mimic anything in real life?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandy!
    Good luck with your AR! Concept maps are hard for me to figure out. My students say they hate them, but the good students do really terrific jobs of showing me what they know. The low performing students show me that they don't know the concepts - just "do the math". That means that they get chemistry answers in liters divided by grams squared instead of grams per liter.
    I keep trying - and so do you.
    I'm sorry about the one you couldn't help.

    ReplyDelete